Thursday, November 15, 2012

Self-Taught, Self-Trained and Self-Motivated, BUT No Expert!

In my first article, “Introducing: Your Community Food Chef,” I presented myself as a person who is passionate about food and shared the story of how it all began.  But, I never really talked about the driving factor that inspires me to become a better cook.  I will be the first to say that I am no expert, nor do I not have any classical training.  From the beginning, everything that I cooked became a trial and error scenario.  Just ask my wife about the “crab-cake fiasco” that she had to live through when we just dating back in college!

Over the years, I have experimented with different spices, flavors, textures, smells, cooking methods and techniques…you name it!  However, I’m 100 percent positive that there are hundreds of other ingredients and methods of cooking that I’m not accustomed to.  The accessibility of the product, expense of the equipment, or simply the price of an ingredient (i.e. Truffle Oil) are some of the reasons that my explorations in the kitchen have been limited.  However, my desire to grow has forced me to find alternative ways to learn how to develop new flavors and not to limit myself just because I can’t afford a piece of equipment or rare ingredient.
So from my point of view, the best alternative for satisfying my hunger (no pun intended) was to have the chefs cook for me!  A number of people have asked me what kinds of food I had the privilege of eating? Well, to name a few: venison, buffalo, alligator, ostrich, truffles, truffle oil, sweetbread (an interesting one, Google it!), cactus, yucca, raw oysters, conch, hearts of palm, and various herbs and spices. The list can go on and on, but whatever I’m eating, I always try to put myself out of my comfort zone and try to avoid the obvious choice. Don’t get me wrong, I like the occasional steak and potatoes.

A few years ago when I was visiting San Juan, Puerto Rico, I ate at this local establishment where I could’ve easily had a dish with rice, beans and pork with the staple spices.  Instead, I chose to eat a whole red snapper fish (fish head included!) with ingredients that I was unfamiliar with. Yes, this definitely was a bold choice, but if I didn’t introduce my palate to these new flavors, I will never learn and grow as a cook.  When I go out to a restaurant I have a habit of asking the waiter/waitress questions about my meal. The next time you find yourself at a restaurant of your choice, try asking what’s in the dish that makes it so unique, if you can’t figure it out. You’ll be surprised what answer you get back.  Usually they tell me, unless it’s a family recipe, in which I can appreciate the protection of a trade secret.  

Garlic and Ginger Chicken (Grilled) w/
Spicy Sweet Potatoe Hash - On top, Mixed
Greens (Arugula & Baby Spinach) dressed
in a Dijon & Citrus Vinagerette

I guess the moral of this story is that don’t be afraid to try to something new when it comes to food.  You just might like it or might not! But taking the risk is worth it. If you have a passion for cooking or just plain ol’ eating, try this: become a participant in a food forum.  Here are some of the most popular forums that tend to draw my attention; eGullet, ChowHound, Mouthfuls Food Forum, and Cheftalk Forum.  You’ll be astonished on what you learn!

One last thing, you might be wondering how that crab cake experiment turned out. Let’s just say I haven’t made another attempt on making those crab cakes, but I will in due time.  Since then I think I redeemed myself by making this dish to your right.

Your Community Food Chef
Follow me on Twitter: @yourcfchef

1 comment: